Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cook's Pressure Cooker


My newest purchase and newest best friend is a Cook's Pressure Cooker - 6 qt (pictured above).  WOWZER, everyone should own one of these, not necessarily the Cook's brand because there are sooo many out there, but any kind, as long as it is electric (unless you know how to cook on a stove top one).

I bought mine off of E-bay at a great price.  If anyone knows me, they know for the past month I have been trying diligently to win one of these to no avail.  Until, one day 2 weeks ago, I was the highest bidder at $70.  Yes a bit much some would say, but for brand new, still in the box, that to me is savings, especially when they start at $159 in the stores!

So, I am at work yesterday and the UPS guy comes in with a package.  A package for me that is!!!  I was super excited as I knew I was finally getting my pressure cooker.  I took it out of the box and thought, "how pretty".  I can't wait to cook some yummy and quick food!

Alas, what recipes should I make now?  I have so many running through my head.  So after work, I head to Price Chopper and buy TONS of meat, from beef tips, to ground meat, to corned beef, to sausage and so on.  I mean I really stocked up on meats. 

 I ended up making 3 different meals last night though only 1 in the pressure cooker.  I made taco meat for tacos/quesadillas, sausage for pizza and for the pressure cooker I made homemade sauce with sausage.  Guess how long it took???  20 minutes!  That's it.  So in 20 minutes I had dinner (homemade sauce) for my family of 5 on the table.  It was delicious too!  I have a very picky husband and son and they both LOVED the sauce (over pasta that is).

The ingredients for the sauce were as follows:

1 lb sausage (I used cheese and garlic sausage links, removed casing and put in pressure cooker)
1 yellow sweet onion chopped
1/2 tspn garlic powder
1 tspn sugar
1/4 tspn salt
1 tspn tabasco sauce
2 tspn chili powder
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

Add all ingredients in pressure cooker, set on medium high, cook 20 minutes - done!  That's it. 

When I make homemade sauce, it is usually hours of cooking to connect all the flavors.  This recipe took 20 minutes.  I can't wait to make my next meal - beef tips!!!

Happy Savings (and Cooking).....

No comments: