Wednesday, August 25, 2010

CASHIERS-R-US

Why is it when I go to a store, it seems more times than none, it is me, the consumer, putting a burden on the cashier???  For instance, tonight, I took my two daughters to Target for Emma to pick out a brand new lunch box (she chose Scooby Doo and the Mystery Machine).  We picked up maybe a handful of other items, but when we put on the "shopping treadmill", and the cashier went to ring in the items the Scooby Doo lunch bag was missing its tag.  The cashier looked at me asking if I knew what the price was?  I told her no, but I really wanted to tell her, yeah, it was $1.00, though I knew it wasn't and that wouldn't be doing the right thing,nor would it beteaching my kids right from wrong, so I opted to just say no.  That's when I turned to the lady behind me and she just rolled her eyes at me.  Seriously?  Aunt Flo is visiting and I have my two children with me, one of which is over excited for this Scooby Doo lunchbox,which we can't seem to find the price.

So, she asks a manager, who takes her walkie talkie out, calls someone and they call her back with the digits to a "Transformers" lunchbox.  I told her, I really don't, as you can see from my daughter who already formed a bond with this bag, I will not be returning it.

Phew, we paid and left.

Onto Joanne's Fabric. I love this store and what it is about - helping everyday people continue to keep crafting alive, or teaching newbies (like me) the art of crafting.  I am in the process of re-doing (I seem to do this every 2-3 years) my daughter, Kylie's room into "PEACE" symbols.  I needed the black spongy brushes so I can decopage a table with PEACE symbol cloth on it.  Yes, with having my 2 kids with me, of course, we bought more than just the black spongy brushes I needed.  So, we headed to pay and there were 2 cashiers. Of course I had to get the one that looked miserable, talked miserable and was miserable.  Even Kylie, my 8 year old asked me when we left, "mommy, why was that cashier so rude"?  I explained that sometimes people have jobs and they are unhappy at them and need to let other people know that.  For them, they should not be working those jobs.

I understand as a young teenager you may not want to be "working", though whatever job you have, enjoy it, embrace it and learn from it, because jobs are hard to come by these days.  I am getting sick and tired of being ever so cheery when I go to a cashier, to have them be rude and make it known that you are the annoyance.  Well, something my momma always taught me - kill em withkindness.  I am always the ever so pleasant consumer, there are times that I have said "why work here if you are so miserable?  If you don't like this job, quit, I am sure there is someone else who would be more than happy to work here and get a paycheck every week"!

Double Phew!  I am so glad I got that off my chest.  I do feel better.  Thanks for listening to my jabbering and hopefully you don't ever have to encounter rude cashiers, though I am sure I am not alone with this one.

Have you encountered rude cashiers?  If so, what have you said/done?  Have you just ignored them, or did you complain?  I would love to hear.

No comments: