Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Intro to Savings...

For years now I have been trying to figure out how I, a wife and full-time working mother of 3, can make extra money, without leaving the house or taking time away from my family, though doing something that I love doing. I always wished I could sew, but in reality we knew that would never happen, that is anything other than the basic button. My family (and friends) have always known how frugal I was with saving money and because I did so well at saving our family money, my husband never complained about me shopping - regardless what it was for - whether it be groceries, a quick trip to the drug store, or clothes shopping for either us or the children. I always come out beating the sale! I am here to share with you my shopping (saving) experiences, and help you (and your family) beat the sales. A few things I have learned to do to help save our family money are:


1. NEVER, never, never buy anything without a coupon. Regardless what store you are going, every store out there has a coupon. If not, and you see something you really want, ask the Store Manager if they offer a store discount on the product. Never be afraid to ask. The most they can say is no.


2. Shop around. So many stores are trying to compete for your business. Most stores will try to "beat" competitor pricing. Bring a pad of paper with you to the store, write down the make of the product, product name, sku#, price and do research via the internet. Most stores will offer free shipping.


3. Buy at the end of the season for the following year. As kids grow, so do the price of clothes. At the end of the season, when stores hit 75% or more, that is when I go shopping for the following year. I stock up on everything and anything, of course only buying what my kids will wear. A great deal is only that for which you use. If something is marked down to $5.00, regularly priced at $40 - great deal, however, only if you will use it. If you buy it because it was such a great price, though it sits and gets covered in dust, you just wasted $5.00!


4. Go Garage Sale shopping. Don't be afraid or embarrassed that someone might see you. Someone's junk can be your treasure. As my kids grow I hate to spend tons of money on clothes, especially when they get stained (and if anyone knows, I am not the best person to get stains out), wripped, etc. I love garage sale shopping for clothes. I do not pay more than $1.00 for article of clothing regardless of the name brand. I bring them home, wash them, and put away in my kids' drawers - walla, a new wardrobe!

5. Shop http://www.craigslist.com/ or http://www.ebay.com/ They are two of my favorite websites. Both of which are online garage sales.


Hope these help your family as they sure help mine!!!

No comments: