Did you know that when you bring your own totes into stores, most will give you credit (money back on your order) instead of using plastic bags? How great is that? I have 2 very large totes I got FREE from Home Depot and 1 small tote I bought at Friehofers which I carry with me in my car at all times. Every time I go into a store, I stuff all 3 bags in my pocketbook (yes, I have a rather large pocketbook) until it comes time for check-out. I not only feel good about helping the environment, but I also am putting money back into my pocket.
If you do not have any totes, in the beginning it is an investment. I would suggest picking up 2 (that seems to be a good number), and leave them in your car. Of course in a place where your car doesn't look "messy", but in a place where you will remember to grab them when you go to a store. Remember, these totes are washable, so if they get dirty, if something spills in them, just throw in your washing machine. You will see the savings soon.
Another idea I got for these totes is from the September issue of Parents Magazine. When your child receives a gift that comes in a beautifully designed gift bag, how many of you reuse and recycle? I do. Once your reusable gift bags are gone, buy a reusable grocery tote that stores are now selling for $1.00 and up, which have many uses afterwards. Decorate with some colorful tissue paper and walla you have a great gift. You are now helping someone else become "GREEN" for our economy. If everyone starts doing this, how quick will it be that the plastic bags will become non-existent and stop hurting our environment?
In us all taking this step by using reusable totes, just think of how quickly we can help stores stop using plastic bags. We could be one step closer to going green.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment