Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Valentine gifts for FREE

Last year, my daughter Kylie and I made heart shaped crayons. What an inexpensive and family oriented gift to give. Not only did this give Kylie & I lots of extra time to spend together, but it also gave all of our broken crayons a new life (and new home). The most time consuming part of this is unwrapping the crayons. We had the whole family doing this, literally. I had sent an email to all of my friends, who not only gave me what they had, but also sent the email on to their friends to get us LOTS of crayons. I bought a heart shaped silicone “cupcake” type pan, which we filled each heart with broken crayons (assorted colors). We then turned the oven to 250° and baked for about 10 minutes, though turn the light in the oven on and watch until it turns to a solid. Thereafter, take out and put in a cool place to harden. I stored in my garage, which at the time (February), in upstate New York, is quite cold so we were good to go there!

I then got the list of kids names from the teacher and on the computer did half sheets of their name on the top so they could draw on these papers and keep for themselves or make for family members or friends. I wrapped about 10 sheets of paper, together with 1 heart shaped crayon, in a cellophane bag, tied the top and had Kylie hand them out to her entire class.

Just think, there is one less child going home with tons of sugar! What a great gift, and almost free! That’s even better if you ask me!

No comments: